Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cookie Nightmare

I'm sick. Not so sick that I can't function, mind you. Just sick enough to make me feel crummy and not want to do anything. Yesterday, I indulged that preference. Today, however, was Cookie Day in Girl Scout Land.

Our pick-up time was 9:30 because I fully intended to be in Newport Beach by noon for my dear cousin's baby shower. I had to load cookies by myself because Scott was on a men's retreat. If you've never loaded 120 cases of cookies into a van while jumping on and off a loading dock, let me tell you-it's NOT the way you want to spend your morning when you already feel crummy. But I coughed and hacked and jumped and lifted and got back home before chaos ensued (Nikki was watching Caleb for me).

JUST as I drove in the driveway, Nikki came out and told me to call the cookie manager, who informed me that I had loaded the WRONG COOKIE ORDER. Apparently, in my virus-induced stupor, I failed to notice that I was loading the order NEXT TO MINE. So I had to drive all the way back to the warehouse (20-minute drive) and was told I would have to UNLOAD the boxes I had and RELOAD with my order. I was NOT happy. When I got there, however, Cookie Manager had done some math and figured out that I just needed to give back one case of cookies, and load twelve more. GOOD DEAL!

By the time I got back home, it was 11:30. Newport is about a two-hour drive from here and I was feeling miserable, so I called Cousin to tell her that I didn't think we were going to make it (probably just as well since she wouldn't have appreciated me hacking all over everything, but still sad!). We got cookies sorted, distributed, and mostly delivered. Then I took a nap.

And this, my friends, is why Girl Scout cookies only come once a year!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good thing they're really good cookies.

TAMI said...

Oh my gosh - what a nightmare ... especially the having to go all the way back part! I know we owe you some money, but I don't recall how much. I'm SURE you've got a record of it somewhere though!! =)