Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tata Saves the Day!

This morning I was on the phone with Scott's mom while the kids were running around me playing. They were running upstairs and downstairs, and I wasn't really paying much attention to the specifics of their play. Then I turned around and Caleb was chasing Nikki with a table knife!!!

A little background here: Caleb likes to pretend he's a pirate and has been brandishing Nikki's little tea set knives for weeks. They look like smaller versions of table knives, but don't actually have the ability to cut anything. Back to this morning...

Of course, I reacted by grabbing his hand and taking it away from him, which scared him and made him cry (like I said, in the running for Mother of the Year, but it scared me!!). He collapsed on the floor sobbing. My mother-in-law was waiting on the other line listening to the whole thing.

Fortunately, there was a fast solution to this problem. For Christmas, Caleb's Tata gave him a dress-up box full of cool costumes, including a foam sword. He exhibited absolutely no interest in this gift, so we put it with his toys downstairs knowing that eventually he would understand what a treasure it was. Today, it was worth its weight in gold. I suggested that he and Nikki go look in his dress-up box and he agreed.

Ten minutes later, Caleb reappeared in pirate gear, complete with eye patch, cape, and of course the sword. He greeted me with a hearty AARRGH!

Thank you, Tata!!!

No comments: