Thursday, February 7, 2008

While I nodded, nearly napping...

Sorry. We've been doing Poe in American Lit. and I have The Raven permanently stuck in my brain, so that quoting Poe always seems appropriate. I really do understand that it's probably not.

It was a banner night at the Page house and both kids were in bed by 7:30 tonight, so I thought I finally had my chance to read The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, which my honors students will be discussing tomorrow, so it's kind of important that I be up on this literature.

Anyway, to be truthful, I actually WAS napping on the couch while trying to read this book (which actually IS engaging, but I'm very tired after a week of being sick), when I was awakened at 10:15.

(Hamster cage opening and closing)
Caleb: Sandy, come here. Come here, Sandy.

I ran downstairs to find every closet door open, the garage door open, Caleb peering into the hamster cage, the hamster hiding under his wheel, the hamster's water bottle on the table and the wire that holds it missing.

Me: What are you doing???
Caleb: I'm playing with Sandy.
Me: It is 10:15! You are supposed to be asleep in your bed.
Caleb: No, I wake up. I want breakfast!!
Me: (speechless)
Caleb: (lying down on the bottom stair) I go night night. I wake up. I want pancakes.
Me: (incredulous) It's not morning! It's late at night, and you need to go to bed.
Caleb: I go night night right here (still on bottom step).
Me: No, it's time to go to bed.

At this point, there were several rounds of me taking his hand to try to lead him to bed, and him plopping his bottom down on the ground on the way to his room (which was, oh, three feet away?).

??????

A stair-sleeping, night-wandering three-year-old.

Meanwhile, my husband, who gave up caffeine for Lent, is snoring in our bedroom with the TV on. Thank goodness I was on the couch. He may have fed the hamster to the cat before we found him!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

But at least you wouldn't have to remember to feed the hamster. That's something, anyway.