Monday, February 18, 2008

Seller's Remorse

We finally did it! We got rid of our big TV!!

We had this huge monstrosity of a television (all 53 inches of it) in our living room. Until we got this thing 18 months ago, we had been a TV-in-the-family-room-only family. Our family room is tucked away downstairs, away from all of the "socializing" areas of our house. Since we got the big TV, Caleb has become a TV addict. Also, since it was in the main area of the house, it was easy to turn on the news or the game, so the TV was on a lot more than we'd normally have it on. I feel like that was one of the things that we did well with Nik, and I didn't want to cause permanent developmental damage to Caleb!

We had talked in passing about getting rid of it many times, but tonight I suggested listing it on Craig's List. Scott said to go for it. There was an identical TV listed, so I used the same price. When I checked my E-mail at 9:00, we already had a bite. By 10:00, the TV was gone, the living room was back to livable, and we had a nice little wad of cash. All good news, yes?

Except there is a little boy who is going to be VERY upset when he gets up in the morning and he can't watch Curious George over breakfast.

I did the right thing, I did the right thing, I did the right thing...

How long does it take to detox a TV-addicted preschooler's brain?

No comments: