Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Spoiler

Nikki was never a surprise spoiler. We could leave her gifts in plain view in the garage and she would NEVER spot them. One year, Santa left her dollhouse sitting in the garage for two months before Christmas, partially covered in a towel, and she was none the wiser. Caleb is a whole different story.

I have a bad habit of shopping late at night while Scott is putting the kids to bed. Actually, it's the ONLY time I have to shop, and I postpone it as long as possible, but at some point we need things like deodorant and body wash, so eventually I have to make the grueling, one-mile trek to Target right before it closes. By the time I get home I am worn out, so I just take the bags and put them in the garage, or in the house, and think, "Oh, I will put this stuff away tomorrow." Except often, tomorrow comes and goes, and the bags are still sitting where I left them, which is precisely what happened this week. I got back around 9:00 on Sunday night, went to bed, went to work yesterday morning, and then had class until 9:00 last night. Shockingly, the bags were still sitting there when I got home. This system had cluttered my house, but otherwise worked well, until Caleb turned three. Caleb digs through bags, a fact which sometimes slips my mind after the blissful years of not worrying about Nikki finding surprises.

Since Thursday is Valentine's Day, and I only go to Target once a month, I figured I'd better get the kids something. I thought I was smart and put the gifts away, but the pack of Ratatouille viewmaster reels was left in a bag. And guess who dug through and found them. It was in a bag of body wash and baggies. What on earth was he looking for??

No comments: