Saturday, February 9, 2008

Referral Frustration

Caleb has what the doctor describes as a "dysfluency" in his speech. What this actually means is that we can't understand about half of what he says.

In December, I filled out the paperwork to get a referral to have him assessed. Since it is now February and I still hadn't heard anything, I called the pediatrician's office on Tuesday to find out what had happened. Several hours later, I got a cryptic message from a member of the staff telling me to call back, which was so helpful since I have to wait about ten minutes to get to a live person every time I call anyone in the healthcare industry.

When I called back, they took a message (after I had waited ten minutes on hold).

Wednesday, the same staff member called me again and told me to "get a C-3." I asked him what that meant, and he couldn't tell me. He said he would call back.

When he called back, he said I just needed to call this (760) number and they could help me. I told him I lived in San Diego and asked if there was a closer facility (we drive a long way to see our pediatrician, but the children's hospital is pretty close). He said no, just call this number and get a C-3. ???

I called said number and, after a five minute wait, the girl on the phone said that THEY were C-3. It stands for Children's something (two other words that start with "C"). She told me that it would take several months for me to get an appointment and started taking my information. When she got to my address, she said, "Let me refer you to a closer facility." GREAT!

At that point, my prep period was over, so on Thursday I called the new number. After a ten minute wait during which the message informed me I was calling the family clinic in Logan Heights (!), a woman with a heavy accent answered the line. She asked me for my information and then asked if I wouldn't prefer to go to a clinic in El Cajon. Um, no. Worse than Logan! I asked if there was something closer to the College Area and she referred me to a family clinic that isn't even located on an actual street, but BETWEEN 53rd and 54th streets. I've been to this clinic with students and it's DISGUSTING. I'm pretty sure we would all catch a communicable disease just by walking within fifteen feet of this place. I heard a few months ago that they had closed it down.

I thanked the woman for her time and called the pediatrician's office where, after a ten minute wait, I was asked to leave a message for "Daisy." YES! A name!

Daisy called me back yesterday (Friday), but alas I was in the middle of a lesson and couldn't answer the phone. She left a message saying she was leaving the office, but she would call me back on Monday.

Why, oh why can't doctor's offices use E-mail??

So maybe by the time Caleb is five (and he won't be four until May) we'll get an appointment.

No comments: