Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sabotaged by Furry Creatures

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I bought Valentine's gifts for my children on Sunday and put them away in a safe place until today. At least, that's what I thought. How could my own closet NOT be a safe hiding place for gifts?? Well, perhaps people who do not share their homes with four-legged creatures find secure hidey holes in their closets. I, on the other hand, do not.

I bought Nikki some individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares that were inside a foil-coated bag. I put the bag, along with Caleb's toy, in the closet between the bottom of my hanging clothes and the top of a shelf. If you're having trouble envisioning this, just trust me that they were impossible to see. However, they were apparently NOT impossible to smell.

Our cat and our little dog conspired to undermine my surprise. The cat jumped up into the closet, shoved the gifts out from under my clothes, and pushed them onto the ground. The dog then ripped open the bag, the individual plastic wrappers, and consumed about four squares of dark chocolate.

When we found Nikki's chocolate bag and the empty wrappers late last night, we had so many questions:

How did they find the chocolate to begin with? Does the cat regularly roam through my clean clothes? Gross!

How did they manage to communicate this plan to each other? And when did they become partners in crime? When we're home they hardly acknowledge each other's existence.

Why wasn't the dog sick? Chocolate is supposed to be toxic to dogs, and one would think that a fifteen-pound dog would be particularly susceptible to its effects. However, Gloria has eaten milk, dark, and semi-sweet chocolate several times with no ill effects.

So this morning I presented my daughter with a ripped back of chocolate. Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetheart.

I am a shoo-in for the Mother of the Year award in 2008. :P

No comments: