Sunday, February 22, 2009

Something New

Here's a whole new angsty topic for my blog-we're remodeling our house.

Our loan funded on Friday and since we're now making a new, bigger house payment I want to get moving on this! (Okay, well our new house payment is technically only about $200 more per month, and we're not technically even MAKING a house payment until April, but still...)

Part of the remodel is the kitchen. I can't decide if I want white cabinets or wood. I can't decide if brown granite would even look good with white. Or if stainless appliances would look good with white. But I want dark floors and a dark table, so I don't want dark cabinets because I hate dark rooms. And all of these things are petty and unimportant but I'm spending a lot of money to do this right and I don't want to hate it in two years and I don't want it to look bad and I don't even know why I'm this wound up about it when we don't even have plans or a permit yet...

DEEP BREATH

A good friend already talked me down once today. I hate making big decisions that involve big money. I'm so used to being poor. And I still would be if the housing market hadn't taken off in CA since we bought ours 15 years ago. And we will be again once we've used up all our equity on this remodel.

DEEP BREATH

My good friend, who has lots of experience in this area, told me today that people get divorced over remodels. I'm not really concerned about that so much (if we were going to get divorced, there were certainly bigger issues to do that over!), but a nervous breakdown is probably not outside the realm of possibility.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

How exciting! Although I have always liked your kitchen. Are you expanding or just re-doing? Personally I LOVE white cabinets. They are classic and really keep a room bright. You should walk around the IKEA staged kitchens...there is a staged one with white cabinets that I adore. I think the brown granite (maybe with white specks throughout) would look great! But anyways...stay strong, relax and maybe start taking up meditation or yoga!! Have fun with the remodel...it will turn out fantastic!

Susan said...

A nervous breakdown is out of the question! We will get through this without any damage to your psyche or your marriage! I promise! What a blessing the Lord has given you in home equity to be able to improve the house so you can better give Him the gift of hospitality. It is His house after all. Deep Breaths and only one decision at a time. Plans first. Love you!