Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pscyho

I began teaching AP Psych last fall with no resources and no training. I got the book a week before the class started. I mooched off an experienced psych teacher at a neighboring school. I begged for a few things from the bio teacher, who wanted them all back right away. We survived, but it wasn't pretty. Now the class has ended and we only have our weekly review sessions to prepare for the test in May. Even though these review sessions are after school and on weekends/holidays, the students are showing up and participating well.

Last week, I found out that our school is a recipient of an AP Incentive grant. In fact, we've had this grant for three years, but it expires in July! The person in charge of this grant until January apparently was keeping it under wraps. He left, and the new grant administrator has been begging the staff to meet with her. Since my class ended in January, she took awhile to find out about me. I met with her on Thursday. Here is a list of things I will be getting because of this grant:
• A field trip to see brains at the Natural History Museum.
• Snacks for all review sessions.
• Study guides (my students had to purchase them this year).
• Summer training to the tune of $700.
• Educational films (okay, movies).
• They'll copy the practice exam for me and pay me to administer it right before the real test.

PLUS, I'll be PAID for all this time I'm spending on review sessions!

If only we had known about this grant all along. And what happened to the rest of the money??

I wonder where one goes to purchase a sheep brain...

I plan to thoroughly enjoy this while it lasts. The state just cut $8 billion from education. Way to make kids a priority, California!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Woohoo, useful supplies!

At least you found out about it now, and now August 1. I guess.