Monday, December 15, 2008

The [Too Many] Days of Christmas

The other day I decided to wrap some presents, primarily because Caleb has a bad habit of snooping and one of them was for him. That way, I figured I'd put it under the tree and it would just blend in with the other presents. Instead, I caused Caleb to find himself in his own personal hell. Unfortunately, and without my knowledge, Caleb has learned to recognize his name. And therefore, he now knows that one present is for him.

We've had this conversation ABOUT every five minutes since my wrapping spree on Saturday.

Caleb: Oh look! A present for me! [huge grin]
Me: Yes, it's a present for you.
Caleb: It's Christmastime [hint, hint].
Me: Yes, it's Christmastime but it's not Christmas Day.
Caleb: Yes! It's Christmas! I want to open my present [which is now pronounced kwezent since we've been working on the /k/ sound in speech]!!
Me: Caleb, the rule is that we don't open presents until Jesus' birthday. Look, there are [insert number] more angels to put up on the Advent calendar. We have to wait [insert number] more days.

At this point, great whining and gnashing of teeth ensues.

From now on, I'm labeling all of his gifts "Boo." Who taught that kid to read his name, anyway?? %$#@ school. >(

3 comments:

TAMI said...

Ah, the dangers of public education, once again highlighted by the chaos of our homes!

Yes, I'm feeling a little feisty!!

My mom flies in next Tuesday. I'm so excited! There are TOO MANY days 'til Christmas at our house, as well!!!

Cindy said...

I will be praying for them to fly by right along with you!! :)

Susan said...

Ella now recognizes several written and spelled out words. It isn't really working for me either. Honestly can't they wait until around , maybe eight to start reading?