Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Driving Home

Caleb: Mom! It's Christmastime!
Me: Yes, it is!
Caleb: It's not Jesus' birthday.
Me: Well, not today. But Christmas is Jesus' birthday. That's why we celebrate it.
Caleb: No! It's my birthday. Not Owin's (cousin). Not Jesus.
Me: Actually, your birthday is in May. Christmas is Jesus' birthday.
Caleb: No it's not! My teacher said no!

Now, I don't believe for one second that his Catholic teacher from his Catholic preschool said no. The disturbing thing is that now I have two children who think their teachers are the ultimate authorities on any topic. You might think that the fact that I, too, am a teacher would give me some authority in their eyes. But then you would be wrong.

2 comments:

Susan said...

This does not bode well for me. I'm not a teacher and I don't know anything.

Cindy said...

Oh yes it does, because at your house you ARE the teacher! You have no competition. :)