Monday, September 15, 2008

Progress

It's been two weeks and three days since Caleb got his hearing aids, and we are definitely making progress. He is comprehending SO MUCH MORE of what we say, even without any additional services!

Normally, I wouldn't ever choose to take him somewhere if I had a choice of leaving him home with Scott. Taking him somewhere always meant a meltdown that would result in me tucking him under my arm while pinning his down, and carrying him football-style to the car where I could wrestle him into his car seat. It's been fun, let me tell you. So tonight, when he wanted to go to the store with Nikki and me, I hesitated. Especially since he hadn't had REAL dinner yet (just a snack).

However, he insisted that he wanted to go to the library. I explained to him that the library would be the LAST place we visited, and if he had good behavior he could go, but if he had bad behavior, he would be taken home. He started freaking out because he couldn't find his shoe, and I reminded him of our deal. Normally, it would have gone something like this:

Me: What do you need to do if you want to go with us?
Caleb: ???
Me: Do you want to go with us or stay home?
Caleb: Stay home.
Me: Okay, let's go.
Caleb: NO!! I WANT TO GO WITH YOU!!! (followed by a screaming fit into the house)

Instead, it went like this:

Me: What do you need to have?
Caleb: Good behavior.
Me: !!!!!

Tonight, oh glorious night, he went to THREE STORES, we stopped for some Jamba Juice (I know, I know, this doesn't qualify as dinner), and THEN went to the library. And guess what??? HE BEHAVED THE WHOLE TIME!!!! EVEN in the library! EVEN when his turn was up on the computer!

God bless the miracles of modern technology resting behind my son's ears.

2 comments:

TAMI said...

Cassie said that she could REALLY tell a difference in Caleb's speech. So glad that difference is manifesting itself in lots of other ways, as well!!

Susan said...

You knew he was in there all the time! Hooray for hearing ears!