Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

Today is the long-awaited, strangely-placed day off that we have waited for all fall. It's our first holiday of the school year. The stretch has been particularly long this year since we haven't had fires raging through our county to provide us with a week off in October (thank God).

When I first heard that the veterans insisted on observing this holiday on the ACTUAL DAY, I have to admit I was annoyed. But then, this day is theirs, and they have certainly earned the right to make us pay attention to WHY we're getting this day off.

While I was lying in bed this morning (it was a LONG night with my nasty virus and I'm still recovering), I heard a band playing the national anthem! There must be some nifty ceremony at the ball fields across the street. Also from bed, I began to hear all the retired warplanes flying overhead. They've been flying out of the neighboring airfield ever since. On the local news, they interviewed a veteran who works with the Midway, our decommissioned aircraft carrier/museum.

I guess my point is GOOD FOR YOU, VETERANS, for forcing the government to observe this holiday in the middle of the week. It's an important day, especially knowing that there are soldiers all over the world right now risking their lives to save others'. I myself am taking a little more time to say some prayers of gratitude today. I hope others are, as well.

No comments: