Thursday, November 6, 2008

Recovering

I went to bed around 11:00 last night, which is my usual bedtime. Caleb had decided to start out in our bed last night (he usually wanders in in the wee hours of the morning), which was fine because it has been COLD at night!

At 2:00 am, I woke up to his whimpers, which were followed by a hideous rumbling in his stomach. Scott quickly leaped out of bed, grabbed Caleb, and carried him to the bathroom. When they returned, we sleepily established that I would be the parent staying home today. The next three hours were a cycle of getting up with Caleb, supervising (he made it every time!), and settling back in as the sickness progressed through his digestive tract. At 5:00, I wrote lesson plans and put in for a sub. We've been home ever since. Fortunately, the virus/food poisoning (??) was done with him by this morning and he's not running a fever. This morning he stuck to his BRAT diet, and this evening he's even eating pasta. We got to read some books and take a nice, long nap. I switched out the kids' summer clothes for winter clothes and did some laundry.

Throughout the day, my students and I corresponded by phone, E-mail, text message. The principal had to cover my class until the sub arrived. We were supposed to be conferring around personal statements in English, and we have a test tomorrow in psychology. The students E-mailed their essays and the psych kids reviewed on their own.

In my nearly 13 years of being a working parent, there have been very few situations like this where I had no idea that my kid was getting sick, and normally Scott and I have enough warning to strategically plan a way to cover our bases. But I have to say that this is the hardest part of trying to do both jobs. Most of the time, it's manageable, but it's just so darn impossible to be in two places at once.

1 comment:

TAMI said...

Glad Caleb's on the mend - even gladder (yes, Mrs. English teacher, I just said "gladder"!) that your chores for the day DIDN'T include scrubbing the carpets!!!