Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mistaken Identity

A new development in the SSN fiasco. Today, Juan from the courthouse called to tell me that my forged document is now official. I thanked him for his time and told him I'd be down to pick it up next week, even though I now no longer need it.

This reminded me of a little detail from Monday. When the clerk changed all of Caleb's information (finally), she gave it to me to review before finalizing it. On the paperwork, it says that Caleb is "Hispanic" (and I promise not to go off on a tangent about this term).

Now, we are a very white family. I actually have enough Cherokee in me to qualify for something if my dad could find our reservation numbers, and Nikki too, but really, we are white. Caleb, however, is even WHITER than us! Not one of his birthparents' relatives was anything but Northern European. He gets sunburned through windows. He is LILY WHITE.

So when I noticed this little tidbit, I pointed it out to the clerk. She said there was nothing she could do about his ethnicity, that she had no authority to change it.

Hmmm... If the government says Caleb is Hispanic, and nobody has the authority to change it, does that mean he qualifies for scholarships??

No comments: