Sunday, June 8, 2008

Do as I say...

Scott and I are not "partiers." Scott has a few beers a week, usually after dinner or with friends. I have a margarita every three months or so. Years of parenthood have taught us that nothing is worth having to keep up with the kids when we're not feeling quite up to par.

But last night, two of our dearest alumni married each other. And when the bride insisted that I do a shot with her when I got there, I obliged. It was a little rougher than I remembered in my college days, but I got through it. Then there was another. Then the champagne for the toast. Then a really yummy mango cooler. Then the coup de grace: one for the road. So by the time we left at 11:00, I was pretty, well, hammered. But hey, the alumni are all legal, Nikki had stayed at a friend's house (no witness), and Scott was driving, so I figured it was fine. That was where I made the mistake.

One of our alumni showed up well into the evening with her younger brother. Who attends our particular small school. And who is applying to become a Peer Helper. Yes, that's right, the ones who make healthy life choices. While Scott knows this student, I had never been introduced to him. Great first impression. His sister swears he didn't notice, THANK GOODNESS.

Then, on the way home, I get a text message from a CURRENT Peer Helper. He wanted to know if we were having fun at the wedding. Now, none of my students knew I was going to a wedding yesterday, so I pumped him for information and found out there were students from ANOTHER small school on our campus that knew who we were and told him we were there. Ugh.

Peer Helpers make healthy life choices, but their advisor gets wasted at weddings. :P

Scott says I'm overreacting; there's nothing wrong with cutting loose when you're legal and have a designated driver. I suppose, but how embarrassing. AND there's the after-effect; my stomach's not feeling so great this morning.

Oh well, at least I had a great time. Next time, I'll have to check the guest list before agreeing to do shots with the bride.

1 comment:

Hank Marxen said...

Who were all the students?