Saturday, May 9, 2009

An introvert in an extraverted world.

I'm typing this while my AP Psych students are doing a practice FRQ, so I only have ten minutes to get this out!

We were just talking about introverts and extraverts and I think I know now why I am such a bad mom. I am an introvert, and both teaching and parenting require extraversion (is that a word???). So I deny my need to go hide in a corner and be alone all day and then come home and deny it while I'm with my kids, so that I have nothing left by the end of the day. Or maybe that makes me a bad wife? Or just dysfuntional?? And I'm pretty sure it explains why I never want to go anywhere on the weekend, even though I have fun once I get there. It definitely explains my fantasies of Scott taking the kids AND the pets somewhere for several days and leaving me all alone in my house.

Maybe I should call up Thoreau and see if his cabin is available...

3 comments:

TAMI said...

I have the same fantasies ... monasticism for me!!

Jenifer said...

I too have that fantasy but I am a extrovert, so it must be a mom fantasy.

Cindy said...

Maybe that's it. *sigh*