Friday, May 8, 2009

Expanding, but temporarily!

I don't generally write about drama outside of my immediate family on here because it's not my place to put it out there, but if you know me well you know that my nephew has had a rough go of it.

Until a year ago, Devon was raised by my parents. He's now 19 and has spent the last year bouncing around in Texas trying to find a place to fit. He ultimately gave up and decided to come home. My parents are quite done raising children after two generations and have been enjoying their time together, just the two of them, as they should. However, this leaves Devon without a place to stay until he gets on his feet here in San Diego.

So next week, Devon is coming home. He wants to finish high school, get a job, and find a place to stay. All of these are admirable goals, and he seems to have learned some things while he was gone. So Scott and I talked, and he agreed that Devon could stay here until he gets settled.

I called Devon today to let him know. He had never even asked for this, but he was so grateful for the offer. He almost started crying in relief.

I am prayerful that this is the right choice for everyone. We are pretty good at establishing boundaries, and we intend to do so when he gets here. However, we do have young children and limited space, so there isn't much room for error on his part. He seems committed to making this fresh start work. So if you have some room on your prayer list, please add Devon to it. And us. This has to work.

4 comments:

Susan said...

We are praying!

TAMI said...

Yes, I found a spot for Devon on the list!

Sharan said...

You got it. LAS

Ronnie said...

There is always a spot for more prayers!