Monday, January 12, 2009

Settling the Score

I was wrangled into teaching Sunday School this year. I don't have to teach all the time, just half the Sundays. It was a concession to a wonderful woman who has served faithfully for many years and who could not find anyone else to help out.

I HATE teaching Sunday School for a few reasons.
1. I teach all week; on Sunday I want to sit in worship and BE taught!
2. I don't like working with groups of little kids confined to chairs; they wiggle, squirm, say random things, and can't pay attention.
3. I really don't feel like I have a lot to offer when it comes to Christian education.

This past Sunday I had to teach after a three-week reprieve. Nikki has agreed to help out, so she picked the activities and I assisted. This particular lesson was about the Roman centurion who had the faith to ask Jesus to heal his comrade. Jesus basically let the others have it because they were "God's chosen people" but they didn't have the faith of the Roman soldier, and he let them know on no uncertain terms that, regardless of their lineage, their fates were uncertain unless they had faith.

Nikki asked, "How would our lives be different if we had faith like the Roman centurion?" The kids were unfocused. They were squirrely. They said random things:
We would be happy (vague, but reasonable).
We would have friends (???).
What did you say??
Can we have snack yet?
It was about what I expected.

Then one little girl, a little girl who has only been to Sunday School three times in her life, said, "If we had faith like the centurion, we wouldn't have to worry because we can just ask Jesus to help us and He will."

God-1, Selfish Cindy-0

No comments: