Wednesday, January 21, 2009

High and Low

The first part of yesterday was AMAZING! It was so much fun watching the inauguration with all the kids. I think they cheered louder than the two million people in DC!

I picked up dinner and then Caleb, and we stayed outside so he could ride his scooter with the other kids. I was sitting on the curb with my neighbor, chatting. Caleb decided that he would slam into the curb instead of using his brakes to stop, and then came over pointing to his tummy and told me that it hurt. Because he hit the curb right behind me, I didn't see it. I kissed his tummy and he went back to play. He slammed into the curb again. Another kiss, more playing. A third crash. Another kiss, and an admonishment, and then more playing. However, the fourth time he did it, he said, "I want to go inside." Now, Caleb normally will play outside until midnight if we'll let him (which we don't, by the way), so I though this was odd. By the time we got inside, he was doubled over in pain and whimpering. Then he started crying. I put him in front of the TV with his blanket to see if he would calm down. He didn't. Then I called nurse triage.

To make a long story short, one CT scan, one IV, and five hours in the ER later, he is fine. The doctors think that it was probably muscular. However, I have never seen anything transform him into a whimpering puddle like this. The nurses who saw him when he came in and then again when it was time to go home were amazed. From the time he woke up this morning, there has been no indication that he was ever hurt, except for the narrative:

I go to the hospital. I watch a movie. I have a boo-boo on my tummy. The doctor make it all better.

I think maybe I'm not qualified to parent a boy. Who in their right mind would repeatedly do something to hurt himself?? That Y chromosome is a dangerous thing.

No comments: