Friday, May 9, 2008

SAHM-for people made of sterner stuff.

We're testing this week at school, which means shorter days, no papers to grade, and early release times. Today, we were done by lunchtime. Tonight, I am exhausted. Why, you might ask? Let me tell you what I did after testing ended at 12:30:
  • Loaded items onto a van for Ronald McDonald House (we just finished a food drive)
  • Went to AP US History study session to offer moral support and (mostly) eat lunch.
  • Drove to Girl Scout Headquarters to buy vests for my bridging Girl Scouts (20 min.)
  • Drove back to school to pick up the kids (20 min.)
  • Drove home (20 min.)
  • Fed the kids a snack
  • Washed the car
  • Made Caleb clean up his toys which were strewn all over the house
  • Made dinner (I HIGHLY recommend that you try sweet potato fries!!)
  • Ironed regalia on Nikki's Girl Scout vest
  • Bathed Caleb
At this point, our neighbor was coming over to sit for the kids so Scott and I could attend a meeting that was back at school. However, it occurred to me that we never received any confirmation that this meeting was happening, so I sent Scott (who was still at school with the AP kids) to investigate. He did find the meeting, but by that time it was too late for me to go. So I took the opportunity to get some errands run while the sitter was there:
  • Costco (to buy breakfast for AP kids, did some returns)
  • Bed, Bath & Beyond
  • Target
  • Petco (and dropped off plastic bags for recycling at Henry's next door)
  • Kohl's (got a new quilt for the bed-YEAH!)
And now it is 10:30 and I am wiped. This, my friends, is why I work. Being at home is just too exhausting.

2 comments:

TAMI said...

I'm surprised by your comfort level in "admitting" this. I suppose it's partly 'tongue-in-cheek' because you're a mighty capable woman, but I have so many insecurities about this parenthood stuff. It seems that everyone's better at it than me, and that gets really exhausting . . . unless you're like YOU and able to face it for what it is.

Cindy said...

No, not tongue-in-cheek; I'm just very aware of my own shortcomings.

I think this is especially obvious to me because I am, for the most part, a SAHM during the summer. And each summer, it hits me like a Mack truck! This was just a little preview/reminder.

AND I've found that life's much easier when I don't try to pretend like I'm competent. People have much lower expectations of me that way. :)