Saturday, April 26, 2008

"Naturally"

Caleb's birthmom came for lunch today. We had a great time watching her chase him around the house, wearing a pirate's hook on her hand, and enjoyed visiting with her. She's getting ready to go to Israel with her church, so we are very excited to hear all about that. She's such a great person, and we love her dearly.

Coincidentally, this month's Adoptive Families magazine is all about open adoption. I love having Birthmom and her family in our lives!

Also coincidentally, I was filling out paperwork for Caleb's IEP meeting when I came across questions referring to his "natural" mother. I have to admit I was offended by the wording. What does that mean, really? That I'm his "unnatural" mother? That we've somehow violated the "natural" order of things by parenting a child we didn't create? It just added to my impression that our local school district, while good-intentioned, is a little backward.

I couldn't resist the urge to correct the wording, and wrote a little note pointing out that "birthmother" would be the correct term there. I am an English teacher after all.

Caleb has two parents who love him. He has a sister who prayed for four years for a little brother. He has a birthmother who loved him enough to make difficult choices in his best interest, and then loved him enough to commit to being part of his life. His parents who fostered him until he came home to us, who stayed with him when he was hospitalized at five weeks, are loving, doting godparents. He is surrounded by a huge family (adoptive, biological, and chosen) that loves him. We were all brought together through God's perfect plan for Caleb. If that isn't "natural," then I don't know what is.

No comments: