Thursday, June 25, 2009

The End of an Era

As a child of the eighties, I am shocked and saddened by Michael Jackson's sudden death.

I know there are lots of controversial things to say about Michael, but I'm not interested in those things. I remember the VERY cute Michael who sang and danced his way into everyone's hearts back in the seventies. I remember the EVEN MORE talented Michael who stunned teens like me by making amazing videos to songs like "Thriller" and "Beat It," which I watched ad nauseum when MTV was new and still showed videos. I still have the "Thriller Tour" t-shirt the people I babysat for bought me when they went to his concert. I still have the album in vinyl! I recently downloaded the album to iTunes because we needed to do some cultural background in American Lit (Vincent Price narrated "Thriller" AND starred in many movies written by Poe). For those of us who came of age in the eighties, he was our Elvis or Beatles.

It's so sad that he was so unhappy with his appearance that he destroyed his face and skin, and ultimately his body. I'm sorry that he was such a tortured soul. But he has left a huge impact on this world through his art.

Thank you, Michael, for your music. May you finally rest in peace.

No comments: