Monday, November 29, 2010

The Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (My apologies to Alexander!)

We went back to work today. Going back to work after a little vacation is always hard, but I can't remember one that was quite as bad as today. Why? Well, since you asked...
  • I came down with a stomach bug this weekend. It decided to get REALLY bad last night. So that I was awake and asleep several times, beginning around 6:00 yesterday. Actually, I was in bed beginning at 6:00, but I couldn't sleep because my stomach was burning and I had a splitting headache.
  • I overslept this morning because my brain finally went on vacation and now it thinks I should sleep until 7:00 instead of 5:00. When I finally woke up I still felt rotten, but less rotten than last night.
  • When I was finally ready to go, I couldn't find my keys for fifteen minutes. Turns out they were right next to the first place I looked, but they had fallen off the bedside table. Probably when I hit snooze.
  • It was LITERALLY freezing, and my car was covered in ice. When I finally got outside, I had to spend another ten minutes scraping ice off the windows while the engine warmed up.
  • When I got to work, I realized that I had to make copies. I got stuck behind the CAHSEE prep teacher, who was making multiple big packets. Then the bell rang, so I went to the little machine we're not supposed to use and tried to make copies, but it took five minutes to make 20. I took enough for period one, and then rushed to class where all my students were waiting outside in the freezing cold because I forgot to leave the door unlocked.
  • I couldn't eat at all this morning because I was a afraid my stomach would start again.
  • It took two hours for the heater to warm my bungalow enough for our teeth to stop chattering.
BUT one of my wonderful students had made me a WHOLE INSULATED PITCHER of shaah (Somali tea). As soon as my prep started, I drank two cups. It was so wonderful and hot!! And then, after I drank it, I felt so much better! And then, after school I had some more and shared it with Scott and another frozen teacher. YAY!

So the next time you (or Alexander) have a no good, very bad day, just have Mariam make you some shaah. It makes everything better.

May you have a very happy Tuesday. I intend to.

No comments: