Thursday, August 14, 2008

Leaps and Bounds

Have I told you lately that my son is amazing?? Well, he is. And I'm not just saying that because I'm his mom. Well, maybe I am. You be the judge.

First, I should say that we went for his well-child visit yesterday. We are also going to be seeing a geneticist who can tell us all about why Caleb has stubby fingers and toes, ear pits, fused toes, hearing loss, etc. I called today to make the appointment. They are happy to see us in November. Of course. On the other hand, his kidney ultrasound is scheduled for next week! They'd better be careful about fitting me in so quickly!! I MIGHT get used to it.

Caleb learned to swim today. We were in the pool, and he wanted to take off his floaties. So I did. And he swam. Wow. By the time we were done today, he was jumping into the deep end and swimming back to the side. All by himself.



I'm also pretty certain he is NOT, in fact, color blind. We had some quiet time together this afternoon (for perhaps the first time all summer) and we played with some crayons. He was able to find the matching crayon (red, blue, green, purple, yellow, black) EVERY TIME! By the time I was done, he was telling me most of the colors. We'll have to keep working on that.

So we went to Target and bought Candy Land (apparently, ours went away after Nikki outgrew it), and then we went to Jamba Juice for a cool treat (it's about 95 with wicked humidity today).

Caleb is also campaigning for school. He's ready to go back TODAY. When we were at Target, he picked out a backpack and wore it home. We keep counting the days until school, and I told him that there are still fourteen (we count every day on the calendar), but he's pretty sure I'm mistaken. The fact that Scott is at work every day (football practice started) isn't helping.

I can't wait to see what he'll do once he can hear. Eight more days until the hearing aids come.

I look at him and feel so inadequate. He learns all of these things in spite of the obstacles he has to overcome in order to do so. His speech is taking off even though he can't hear. Has he learned to compensate for color blindness, or was it just that he couldn't hear the words and connect them with the colors? He can count, and swim, and throw a ball like a pro pitcher. How am I supposed to keep up with all of this? Certainly, God knew what he was doing when he made me Caleb's mom, but sometimes I wonder if I'm able to live up to His expectations.

2 comments:

Loudest Mom said...

I love (and unfortunately, can relate to) your post about the glasses, tire(s), etc. We definitely go through spurts like that, and I also had NO idea hearing aids were $2,000 a piece (until we had to purchase them for four kids- ouch). Since then we've learned that cochlear implant batteries are also very breakable, and pretty expensive :)

Ronnie said...

Well God definaetly knew what He was doing when I received your profile and decided that you were the family for him! I am just sorry that he came with so may "quirks". I know that there were probably things that I could've done to prevent things from happeneing, but I know that He had them all instore the moment Caleb was thought of. But I am so glad to hear that his speech is getting better and he is recognizing colors more and more. We just need to keep looking at all of the positives. Love you and thank you for everything you guys do for him! Oh and the video is precious! It's going on my myspace page :)